Channels are a feature of Vendure which allows multiple sales channels to be represented in a single Vendure instance. A Channel allows you to:
- Set a channel-specific currency, tax and shipping defaults
- Assign only specific Products to the Channel (with Channel-specific prices)
- Create Administrator roles limited to the Channel
- Assign only specific Promotions, Collections & ShippingMethods to the Channel (to be implemented)
Every Vendure server always has a default Channel, which contains all entities. Subsequent channels can then contain a subset of the above entities.
Use-cases of Channels include:
- Multi-region stores, where there is a distinct website for each territory with its own available inventory, pricing, tax and shipping rules.
- Creating distinct rules and inventory for different sales channels such as Amazon.
- Specialized stores offering a subset of the main inventory.
Multi-Tenant (Marketplace) Support
In its current form, the Channels feature is not suitable for a multi-tenant or marketplace solution. This is because many entities are still shared across all Channels, e.g. Orders, Customers, Assets.
Multi-tenancy could still be achieved through a dedicated plugin, but would require significant custom work. An out-of-the-box solution will be considered for a future plugin offering.